Om Birla was born on 23 November 1962 and he is an Indian lawmaker and social worker, serving as the 17th Lok Sabha Speaker since 2019. He has served as a Parliament member, Lok Sabha, from Kota-Bundi demographic in Rajasthan since 2014. He was likewise the Legislative Assembly member addressing Kota South Assembly constituency from 2003 to 2014. He is also a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member.
He joined the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, the BJP's youth wing, and became involved in student politics. He went on to become the organization's national vice-president. He was also involved in student politics, and when the BJP initially nominated him for the prestigious Kota assembly seat in 2003, he was uncertain about his victory.
Personal life and Education?
Om Birla was born to Shrikrishna Birla and Shakuntala Devi in a Marwari Hindu family. He finished his master's degree in commerce from the Government Commerce College, Kota and Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati College, Ajmer. He wedded Amita Birla in 1991 and has two daughters named, Akansha and Anjali.
In addition to being a full-time politician, he participates in numerous philanthropic activities. Through various mediums, he is interested in various social services such as helping the old, handicapped citizens, the poor and helpless women from time to time.?
He has been involved in assisting many handicapped, cancer and thalassemia patients through different social organisations, which have also been providing handicapped people with free tricycles, wheelchairs, and hearing aids.
He assisted the flood victims, led the relief team in rescue operations and gave shelter and medical care to the flood victims in Kota city on 15-16 August 2004.
Om Birla won his first assembly elections contesting from Kota South in 2003. He won against Shanti Dhariwal from Congress by 10,101 votes. He saved his seat with 24,300 votes against Ram Kishan Verma from Congress in 2008. In 2013, before turning into a Parliament member, he won his third assembly election against Pankaj Mehta (Congress) by 50,000 votes. He was the Parliamentary Secretary (MoS rank) in Rajasthan government during his tenure in 2003-08.
Birla was elected to both the 16th and 17th Lok Sabha as the BJP's candidate for the Kota constituency. In the 16th Lok Sabha, he was the Standing Committee on Energy and Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment member.?
His choice for the position of the Lok Sabha speaker amazed many including MPs from the treasury bench. On 19 June 2019, Om Birla was chosen 17th Lok Sabha speaker, following a movement for election moved by PM Modi of the BJP. The Congress and the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam parties also moved notices for Birla and encouraged him to be unprejudiced as Lower House's presiding officer.?
- District President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Kota. (1987–91)
- State President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha, Rajasthan State. (1991–1997)
- National Vice President, Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha. (1997–2003)
- MLA From Kota South (2003-2015)
- Member of Parliament from Kota (2014-Present)
- Vice Chairman, National Co-operative Consumer Federation Limited.
- Chairman, CONFED, Jaipur. (June 1992 to June 1995)
- Lok Sabha Speaker, (19 June 2019 to present)
- He was acting director of National Coal India Limited and Nehru Yuva Kendra, New Delhi.
- He proceeded to join Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM). He was selected as the president of Kota District. Later on, he turned into BJYM's Rajasthan state president for 6 continuous years.?
- During his time as Parliamentary Secretary, he was praised for his efforts to assist with financial matters. He is portrayed as the “Messiah of the poor.”
- He has likewise filled in as the Vice Chairman of National Cooperative Consumers' Federation.
- Om Birla was actively involved in the rescue effort when floods hit Kota. He gave shelter homes, meds and food to victims.?
- Asked over 500 questions in the 13th Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and his name was mentioned for "Sadan ke Sitaare" something like 6 times for taking part in the house's debate.?
- He led the historic development to set up IIT in Kota city. His role was instrumental for ensuring supply of Chambal river in District Bundi.?
- For the Rawatbhata Movement for waiver of City Development Tax and Movement against MNCs, the credit goes to him.?
- As Vice Chairman, National Cooperative Consumer Association Ltd., New Delhi, he launched the plan of fostering the network of Super Bazar schemes nationwide.?
- In September 2019, Birla became involved in a controversy. In his speech at a meeting of the Akhil Brahmin Mahasabha in Kota, he said that Brahmins are held in high esteem “by virtue of their birth” because of their dedication and their ability to guide other communities.?
- In 2022, the Opposition targeted the government, accusing Birla regarding freedom of speech in parliament that "how BJP was destroying India". He was charged of restricting the freedom of speech of the MPs in the house by various political parties.
Om Birla has an estimated net worth of over Rs. 4.83 crores (2019).